Nice MySQL Workbench Tutorial – Creating A MySQL Forum Database

For everybody interested, please check out this very descriptive tutorial written by Adrian ‘yEnS’ Mato Gondelle. It shows how to create a database schema design with MySQL Workbench.

If you have written your own tutorials or blog posts about MySQL Workbench please drop us an email and we might feature it on our blog.

Nice Blog Postings About MySQL Workbench

Quite a few Blog postings pop up recently, let me outline two of them.

Gerry Narvaja talks about multi-page printing by using the MySQL Workbench community edition utilizing the PDF output. Find his posting here.

Weizh posted a nice step-by-step tutorial on how to use Workbench to show differences between two databases. Find it here.

Both workflows get you what you want by using the Community Edition. For those of you who want everything on a silver plate there is the Standard Edition of course, which simplifies these tasks even more.

On a side note: To get more information about the printing topic Gerry joined us on our IRC #workbench channel on irc.freenode.net. Somebody from the team usually hangs out there from 10:00 am European time till 18:00 EST. Don’t be shy and join us there if you have a WB-related question. We might also be able to answer general MySQL questions but the better channel for that is #mysql. For more information see this page.

What Happens After Workbench 5.0 Becomes GA?

We have just officially released the WB 5.0 RC3 build and are planning the GA build to happen soon. One might ask, what is our criteria to call something GA? Well, it means that there must not be any known and verified P1 (crashing) and P2 (very serious bug with no workaround) bugs. Does it means that there are no bugs left or that we have implemented every feature request? No.

Therefore our efforts will not stop after the GA build. We still plan to get a new release out every 3rd week including all fixes and improvements that are necessary. This is a first list of things we are planning to release in a future GA release.

• Bug fixes
    Most important are bug fixes of course. Please keep reporting bugs, you did a great job in the past – and if you do so, we will keep closing those bug reports as fast as we can.
  • Enable connection-end points dragging/reordering
    This has remained one major point of complaint, but we cannot commit the code in time for the GA release as this has to be tested much more.
  • Canvas speed optimizations
    While we have made improvements here there is still a lot to work on, especially for large diagrams. My current advice is to break the huge diagrams down into smaller ones so that they become easier to manage. To have many different diagrams in one model is one core feature of Workbench and I would like to encourage people to really make use of that (even if larger models can be displayed faster in the future).
  • More DBDoc templates
    We only ship a small number of reporting templates in SE yet. This is going to change. If you have special requirements or ideas how the reports should look like please post your ideas on the forums.
  • Online repository of model snippets
    When you do a lot of database modeling you might have noticed that you reuse the same structures quite a lot. We want to offer a collection of diagram snippets that will allow you quickly add typical structures to your model.
  • Online repository of plugins
    Vlad is giving a tutorial at the MySQL Users Conference on how to write plugins for Workbench. We want to offer an online repository for those as well. Sergei is currently working on a Download-Wizard to make downloading those extensions really easy.

As you can see, we have lots of plans for the WB 5.0 GA release and this does not even touch the things we will be working on for the WB 5.1 tree.

There are great times ahead of this project!

MySQL Workbench Release Candidate Coming Up

With the great help we receive from community and SE Beta testers we are marching towards RC quality with large steps. This week we hope to remove the last obstacles (mostly printing, some canvas problems and some synchronization problems) that are holding us back and to be able to close all open P1 & P2 bugs. If we achieve all this we will upload the RC1 (Release Candidate 1) build.

As a bonus we have now added the much requested “direct connection” notation between columns (better know as MS Access style notation) to the Standard Edition – a feature that has been requested since the old DBDesigner4 days. Personally, I am not so found of this notation because it limits the connection points to the left and right of the individual PK- and FK-columns which makes it harder to have a nice looking model. But given the flexibility of Workbench to hold an unlimited number of smaller diagrams this might solve this problem for most I hope.

There are a lot of really good feature requests that have been filed and I am sad that all that are now open will not make it into the WB 5.0 release. But we had to stop at some point and focus on quality. We will try to incorporate as many as possible into the WB 5.1 release that should happen later this year. So please do not stop to share your ideas on how to improve Workbench and file feature requests in the bug system – we are always listening.

I will blog about the process of the RC build during the week. Stay tuned!

Why Released on Windows First?

If you are on Linux or OS X you might ask why we have decided to first release on the Windows platform. And why the releases for Linux and OS X will happen a few months later. Here is why.

We believe we can deliver better quality if we focus on one platform first. By having the whole team focusing on one platform we can get a release out sooner than it would be possible by supporting all three platforms from the beginning.

And the sooner we release, the earlier we get bug reports. And this benefits the quality. When we are going to release on the other platforms the back-end code will already be well community-tested. And even the first releases on Linux and OS X will have a decent quality.

But why did we choose Windows as the first platform? Actually, it was not us – it was you, our users. Looking at the bug reports we got for the old GUI tools it is clear that 90% of the reports are for Windows. And that made the choice easy.

The question remains why we do not use Java or a cross platform GUI toolkit. The answer for that is that a lot of developers do not want Java to be installed on their development machine. I personally love Java as a language but I can see their point, so that was not an option. For the cross platform GUI toolkits – we have tried a number of them. But non of them really delivered what we needed.

So I hope our fellow Linux and OS X users (I’m on OS X now as well) will understand our motivation behind this decision and will be even more happy when they are going to try Workbench on their platform and find it working very well.

Community Site Shaping Up

The MySQL Workbench Community Site will run on the MySQL Forge 2.0 system in the future. But until that system is ready and the integration of the content we need for Workbench has been figured out we are using a simple WordPress installation and MySQL Forge 1.0 to get going.

I have finished with a basic templating of the blog but there is still a lot that needs to be done. Time is running out till the official beta release and I hope I get everything that needs to be there – even for a temporary solution.